Selling Vegetables From Your Garden
If you have a vegetable garden, you may be wondering if it’s possible to make some extra money by selling the bounty from your own backyard. While there are a few things to consider before putting your garden’s excess produce up for sale, the answer is a resounding YES!
Be Sure You’re Allowed
Before you begin selling your garden’s vegetables, it’s important to make sure that you are allowed to do so. Regulations regarding the sale of backyard produce may vary based on your area, so be certain to check with your local government before you begin.
Decide on Your Product and Price
Once you know that you are able to legally sell your backyard vegetables, it’s time to determine which produce you will be offering, and at what price. To ensure that you turn a profit, consider the following:
- Cost of production – You may have planted your vegetables for free, but consider the amount of time and energy that you’ve put into maintaining the garden, and factor that into the eventual sale price.
- Cost comparison to local grocery stores – Do a price comparison to your local grocery stores, and make sure that your pricing structure provides you with a profit margin.
- What do customers want? – Do some research to find out which types of produce are popular with customers.
Market, Promote, and Sell
Once you’ve determined the product and pricing, it’s time to start marketing. Consider the following ways to get your products out there:
- Create a website. You can use this to showcase your produce and let customers know where and when they can pick up their order.
- Set up a stall at community markets and festivals.
- Advertise locally through a variety of mediums such as newspapers, radio, and online advertising.
- Send out emails or newsletters to your local community.
The key is to make sure you are getting the word out to your potential customers.
Selling your Garden’s Produce
By following the above steps, you can be well on your way to making some extra money with your garden’s produce. When selling your harvested vegetables, make sure you are aware of local regulations, price your product to make a profit, promote your business, and you’ll be successful!