Growing Veggies in a Greenhouse
Since greenhouses provide a controlled environment for growing, they can be used year-round, even in Summer. Growing vegetables in a greenhouse in the summer can be beneficial to both the vegetable plants and the greenhouse gardener. Here, we take a look at the benefits of growing vegetables in a greenhouse during the summer months.
Benefits of Growing Vegetables in the Summer
There are several great advantages to growing vegetables in the summer in a greenhouse:
- Ideal growing conditions – Controlling the environment in a greenhouse to be conducive to successful vegetable growth means the heat and moisture in the greenhouse can be adjusted to what the plants need.
- Longer growing season – Protected from the elements in a greenhouse, plants can be grown outside the normal growing period.
- Pest control – Vegetables grown in a greenhouse are much less susceptible to pests and disease, reducing the need for chemical treatments.
- Increased yields – Growing in a controlled environment, you can expect larger and higher yields of vegetables.
Challenges of Growing Vegetables in a Greenhouse in the Summer
Growing vegetables in a greenhouse in the summer can present challenges to the gardener as well.
- Cost – Typically, greenhouses are more expensive than traditional gardening alternatives.
- Setting up the environment – Creating the right environment in the greenhouse and getting the air circulation and humidity levels just right requires the gardener to have an understanding of greenhouse conditions and the necessary equipment.
- Checking temperatures – Checking the temperature in the greenhouse regularly is important to maintaining the perfect environment for vegetables to thrive in. A thermometer is necessary for this task.
The Bottom Line
Growing vegetables in a greenhouse in the summer can be advantageous, providing ideal conditions and allowing the vegetable gardener to produce fresh produce year-round. Although there are some challenges, with the right care and attention, a greenhouse can provide a perfect place to grow vegetables in the summer.