Can You Steam Vegetables in an Air Fryer?
If you are looking for a way to make healthier food choices in the kitchen, using an air fryer is an excellent option. Air fryers work without added oil which is great for preparing crisp food without extra fat. But can air fryers be used to steam vegetables as well?
What is an Air Fryer?
An air fryer is a kitchen appliance that cooks food by rapidly circulating hot air around it. This produces a crispy result that is close to what you might get by frying. By using only a small amount of healthy oil or no oil at all, it is a great way to make delicious and healthy food.
Can Air Fryers Steam Vegetables?
Yes! Although air fryers are best equipped for frying, dehydrating, and baking food, they can also be used for steaming vegetables. The small amount of oil that you may add prevents the vegetables from sticking to the basket, and the circulating hot air is just the right temperature to steam vegetables quickly and evenly.
How to Steam Vegetables in an Air Fryer
- Add a small amount of water (approximately 1-2 tablespoons per pound of vegetables) to the lower tray of your air fryer.
- Cut your vegetables into similar-sized pieces and place them in a bowl or on a plate.
- Put the vegetables into the basket of the air fryer.
- Close the lid and set the temperature to 350° F.
- Set the timer for the appropriate amount of time (this depends on the type and size of the vegetables being steamed).
- Once the timer goes off, check the vegetables for doneness. If they’re not done, reset the timer and continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes, or until tender.
- Carefully remove the vegetables and serve.
Benefits of Air Fryer Steamed Vegetables
- No additional oil is needed which makes air fryer steamed vegetables a healthier alternative to traditional steamed vegetables.
- Vegetables cook evenly and quickly.
- The air fryer prevents water from boiling over and making a mess.
- You can steam multiple types of vegetables at once.
In conclusion, air fryers can be used for more than just frying. By adding a small amount of water to the tray, you can easily steam vegetables in an air fryer. Not only is this a healthier option than traditional steaming methods but it also cooks vegetables evenly in a short amount of time.