How Many Calories in Homemade Vegetable Soup?
Making homemade vegetable soup is a healthy and economical way to enjoy a variety of vegetables. However, with all of the ingredients added, it is important to understand how much it contributes to your daily caloric intake.
Calorie Count for Homemade Vegetable Soup
Typically, homemade vegetable soup contains:
- 1 cup of canned diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup of diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 cup of diced carrots
- 1 cup of diced celery
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
When all of the ingredients are combined, it makes one serving of vegetarian vegetable soup (1 cup) that contains approximately 112.8 calories. This is an excellent option for a light lunch or dinner and can be tailored to suit the tastes of the person eating it.
Nutritional Benefits of Homemade Soup
Homemade vegetable soup is a nutritional powerhouse. It contains an abundance of vitamins and minerals that can help you stay healthy. It is especially rich in:
- Vitamin A – good for the immune system, vision, and skin health
- Vitamin C – strengthens the immune system and helps maintain healthy bones and teeth
- Vitamin K – important for blood clotting and increases bone density
- Folate – aids in cell growth and metabolism
- Iron – helps form red blood cells and constitutes a part of hemoglobin
- Dietary fiber – helps with bowel regulation and digestion
This soup is also a great source of antioxidants that help protect against free radical damage and chronic diseases. Not only is this soup nutritious, but it is also cheap and easy to make. With all these benefits, you can’t go wrong with homemade vegetable soup.
When making or purchasing vegetable soup, it is important to consider the calorie count. Typically, homemade vegetable soup made with all of the ingredients above will contain approximately 112.8 calories per cup. Moreover, this soup is a great source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that can help support overall good health.