How to Pickle Vegetables for Banh Mi
Banh mi sandwiches are a delicious combination of crunchy pickled vegetables and cool, creamy components, providing a balanced and flavorful sandwich. For a banh mi to come together, pickling the vegetables is essential. Follow these easy steps and you’ll be ready to assemble a delicious banh mi sandwich in no time.
Ingredients and Equipment
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 cups of vegetables of your choice, sliced into thin strips:
- Jalapeño peppers
- Large jar with lid
- Prepare the brine: In a small pot over medium-high heat, bring the vinegar, water, sugar and salt to a boil. Stir until the sugar and salt are completely dissolved, then remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Pack the jar: Tightly pack the vegetables into the jar. Make sure the jar is completely full, leaving no room for air.
- Pour the brine into the jar: Once the brine has cooled, pour it over the vegetables, making sure that all the vegetables are submerged.
- Seal the jar: Secure the lid on the jar and give it a good shake to make sure everything is evenly distributed.
- Refrigerate: Place the jar in the refrigerator and wait at least 24 hours before consuming.
Tips and Tricks
- The pickled vegetables can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- For a spicier pickling brine, add one or two cloves of garlic, a teaspoon of whole black pepper or a tablespoon of your favorite hot sauce.
- When packing the vegetables in the jar, add thinly sliced onion for an extra punch of flavor.
Pickling vegetables is an essential part of assembling a banh mi sandwich, and the process is quite simple. With the right ingredients and equipment, you’ll be able to pickle vegetables in no time. Enjoy!