How to Steam Vegetables in a Rice Cooker
Rice cookers come in handy for many kitchen tasks, one of which is steaming vegetables. This process is straightforward and requires just a few simple steps:
What You’ll Need:
- Rice cooker
- Fill the rice cooker: Add a couple inches of water to the rice cooker, then add a colander or other basket.
- Add your vegetables: Place your cut-up vegetables in the colander. You can usually fit 2-3 cups of vegetables into a standard rice cooker.
- Secure the lid: Place the lid on the rice cooker, making sure that it is fitted correctly. If your lid does not fit properly, steam will escape and your vegetables will not cook properly.
- Press the appropriate button: Depending on your model of rice cooker, there may be a “steam” button that you can press to start the cooking process. If not, select a setting (such as “white rice” or “porridge”) which will cook the vegetables.
- Wait: Your rice cooker will take anywhere from 10 to 25 minutes to steam your vegetables. Depending on the model, a timer may be displayed so that you can keep track of your progress.
- Check the vegetables: Once the timer goes off, your vegetables should be tender. You can check them by poking them with a fork. If they are not cooked to your desired level, you may need to add a few minutes to the cooking time.
- Serve and enjoy! Once your vegetables are cooked to your liking, use a spoon or tongs to remove them from the colander and plate. Serve with your favorite main dish and enjoy your steamed vegetables.
Using a rice cooker to steam vegetables is a great way to get an effortless nutritious meal in a matter of minutes. Whether it’s broccoli, carrots, or peppers, you can use your rice cooker to steam a variety of vegetables, so get creative and enjoy!