How to Water a Vegetable Garden While on Vacation
It is possible to maintain a healthy and thriving vegetable garden while away on vacation. By taking a few precautions, you can ensure your garden is watered regularly and comes back in full force when you return.
Prepare your Garden
- Mulch your garden thoroughly before leaving to help prevent evaporation.
- Water the soil beneath and around your plants thoroughly at least one day before departing.
- Prune well before leaving to prevent water waste from spent flowers and leaves.
Look for Alternatives
- Install a drip irrigation system with a timer. Set the timer to water at regular intervals as needed while you are away.
- Employ a watering service to have someone come and water your garden while you are away.
- Install a watering hose with an automatic timer. Attach a timer to the hose and set it to water the garden at regular intervals while you are away.
Final Tips and Considerations
- If you have a large garden, consider installing two or more hoses with multiple timers so that different sections of your garden receive regular water.
- Check your garden often when you return to make sure all vegetation is healthy and thriving.
- Be sure to turn off the timer immediately after you return.
- Spread plant food around the base of the vegetation to help fertilize the ground after watering.
By following these steps, you can ensure your vegetable garden is well cared for and watered while you are away. With proper planning and preparation, your garden is sure to be thriving when you return from vacation.