Is Apple A Fruit Or A Vegetable?
Apples are one of the most popular fruits in the world, but there’s some debate over whether they’re actually a fruit or a vegetable. Let’s look at the facts.
What Is a Fruit?
A fruit is typically defined as:
- A sweet, edible product of a plant
- A part of a plant usually containing seeds
- A ripened ovary of a flower
What Is a Vegetable?
A vegetable is typically defined as:
- Any type of edible plant matter
- A plant part used as food, such as stems, roots, tubers, leaves, or flowers
So, Is Apple A Fruit Or A Vegetable?
Based on the definitions, apples are classified as a fruit, as they have seeds, contain a sweet edible product, and are the ripened ovary of a flower.
Although apples have been used in many savory dishes, this does not alter their fundamental nature.
So, it’s fair to say that apples are indeed fruits, not vegetables.