Fruits and Vegetables In Season in January
January is an exciting month to visit your local market or grocery store when it comes to produce. The following is a guide to what fruits and vegetables are in season in January.
- Citrus – Oranges, tangerines, grapefruits, mandarins, lemons and limes will all be freshest and least expensive in January.
- Kiwis – Actinidia deliciosa, better known as kiwis, are plentiful and inexpensive in January.
- Bananas – With a slight drop in price in January, bananas are a great option to treat yourself.
- Apples – Delicious, crisp apples are highly abundant in January and will make for a great option in any of your cooking.
- Rutabagas – Also known as Swedes, rutabagas are root vegetables that have a mild flavor and are great for roasting.
- Brussels Sprouts – Delicious and full of fiber, Brussels sprouts are a great source of nutrition and are in season in January.
- Mushrooms – With a plethora of varieties, mushrooms are plentiful this time of year and are great for finding creative cooking recipes.
- Cauliflower – Low in calories, nutritious and delicious cauliflower is in season and can be found at your local market.
In conclusion, there are a variety of fruits and vegetables in season during January. Shopping with the season can make for a great culinary experience while not breaking the bank.