The Perfect Add-Ons to Vegetable Soup
If you’re trying to add a delicious, nutritious meal to your diet, vegetable soup is a great option. Rich in fiber and vitamins, it can be created in a variety of ways and with a variety of ingredients. To make it even better, here are a few favorite add-ons that can take it over the top.
Adding a warm, crusty baguette or other hearty bread to your soup is an easy way to make it more filling. Try dipping it in the soup, or add cubes of it to the soup itself. If you’re looking for a lighter addition, a slice of whole grain toast can go a long way.
Cheese is always a great compliment to soup. For this recipe, we suggest:
- Grated Parmesan – Sprinkle it over the top of the soup for a nutty, salty flavor.
- Blue Cheese – Offering a strong and tangy flavor, blue cheese can be crumbled or shredded over the soup.
- Cheddar – A classic soup topping, cheddar can be melted on top of the soup or added during preparation for an extra cheesy flavor.
Adding herbs to soup can really bring out the flavor. We recommend:
- Basil – Sweet and fragrant, basil goes well with almost all vegetables.
- Thyme – Rich and earthy, thyme adds an herby and aromatic flavor.
- Parsley – With a mild, slightly sweet flavor, parsley adds a great finishing touch.
Nuts and Seeds
To add a nutty, crunchy texture, try adding some toasted nuts and seeds. Our favorites are:
- Pumpkin Seeds – A high-fiber, high-protein seed with a mild, nutty flavor.
- Almonds – Another high-fiber, high-protein nut, almonds are loaded with nutrients and have a slightly sweet, nutty flavor.
- Walnuts – Loaded with essential fatty acids, walnuts are a great addition to almost any soup.
These are just a few of the items that work great with vegetable soup. Try experimenting with different combinations to find the one that best fits your taste. Enjoy!