What Vegetables Go Well With Dirty Rice?
Dirty rice is a traditional Creole and Cajun dish, made with white rice, ground beef, and seasonings like onions, garlic, green bell peppers, celery, and parsley. It’s a hearty dish that can be made in a variety of ways, and one of the most important parts of making it delicious is the mix of veggies that you choose to pair with the dish.
Vegetables to Complement Dirty Rice
Here are some of the best vegetables to pair with dirty rice:
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes are acidic and sweet when ripe, and can balance out the savory flavors in dirty rice. Dice up some fresh tomatoes and mix them with the dish, or try adding some oven-roasted or grilled tomatoes to the mix.
- Corn:Corn adds a good dose of sweetness and crunch to the dish, and it’s great for adding color, too. You can use fresh or frozen corn – just be sure to thaw it first if you use frozen.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms are perfect for adding earthy and savory flavors to dirty rice. You can use any type of mushrooms, from button mushrooms to oyster mushrooms. Just be sure to sauté them until they’re golden brown.
- Carrots: Adding some carrots gives you a pop of sweetness and a nice texture to dirty rice. You can dice them up small, or you can even shred them to give the dish a more complex texture.
- Peas: Peas are a great source of protein and are also sweet and crunchy. They can be boiled, steamed, or roasted, and they go great with the flavors of dirty rice.
By adding the right mix of vegetables to your dirty rice, you can create a flavorful and satisfying dish that your whole family will love.