Vegetable Pairings for Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
Scalloped potatoes and ham offer a classic comfort food meal. When you’re adding vegetables to round out this dish, aim to contrast the creamy potatoes and rich ham with vibrant, crunchy flavors.
Green Vegetable Options
- Green beans: A classic side for many dishes, green beans provide an acidic flavor contrast to the creamy potatoes and salty ham. Roast them or dab them with butter for an easy accompaniment.
- Asparagus: Roast, or sauté asparagus for an earthy crunch that helps break up the texture of your meal.
- Spinach: Sautéed spinach adds a pop of color and flavor, while providing a good source of vitamins and minerals.
Root Vegetable Options
- Parsnips: Mashed, roasted, or sautéed, parsnips provide a unique sweetness that balances this savory main course.
- Carrots: If you’re looking to add a bit of sweetness and color, carrots are the perfect addition. Roast them for a slightly caramelized flavor, or just add soaked or steamed carrots for a vibrant side.
- Turnips: Roasted turnips provide a slightly spicy, nutty flavor that brings the richness of this dish down a notch.
For a classic comfort meal, pair scalloped potatoes and ham with any of these vegetable side dishes. The creamy potatoes and salty ham are contrasted perfectly by the crunchy, vibrant vegetables for a delicious meal and a healthy balance of flavors.