Vegetables In Season in Florida
Florida is known for its thriving plant life and bountiful sources of fresh produce. It is home to a plethora of delicious locally grown vegetables all year round, which makes it a perfect place to get your veggie fix! Here is a list of some of Florida’s in-season vegetables to enjoy:
- Broccoli – An excellent source of vitamins and minerals, this popular vegetable is a great addition to any winter meal.
- Cabbage – One of the healthiest vegetables you can eat, cabbage is great for adding crunch and flavor to salads and soups.
- Carrots – Known for its versatility and numerous health benefits, carrots are an indispensable ingredient in many dishes.
- Leafy Greens – Whether its kale, spinach, chard, or collard greens, these powerhouse vegetables are full of beneficial fibers and key nutrients.
- Winter Squash -Ranging from sweet acorn and butternut squashes to small delicatas, there are countless varieties that make a great side or main entrée.
- Asparagus – A delicious crunchy and nutty veggie, asparagus is full of antioxidants and fiber.
- Fava Beans – Nutritionally dense, fava beans are a great source of protein and make a savory addition to salads and soups.
- Garlic – Known for its pungent aroma and flavor, garlic is a classic ingredient perfect for adding dimension to many dishes.
- Peas – These tasty veggies are packed with nutrients like vitamin C, iron and folate to name a few.
- Radishes – Delightfully crunchy, radishes can be enjoyed in many different ways and are a great addition to salads.
- Beans – String beans, black beans, lima beans or any other type make an excellent side or vegetarian entrée.
- Bell Peppers – Enjoy them raw, roasted, grilled or stir-fried; bell peppers are a versatile addition to any dish.
- Cucumbers – A refreshing veggie perfect for salads and salsas, cucumbers are a good source of hydration.
- Corn – Sweet and crunchy, this classic summer veggie is great for adding a bit of sweetness to any dish.
- Tomatoes – Whether eaten raw or cooked, tomatoes are a nutritional powerhouse and a necessary ingredient in many recipes.
- Beets – With their earthy and sweet flavor, beets are a great way to add color and nutrition to any dish.
- Brussels Sprouts – These miniature cabbages are a good source of vitamins and minerals, and are delicious when roasted.
- Cauliflower – Flavorful and low in calories, cauliflower is a great alternative to many grain-based dishes.
- Kale – Being one of the most nutrient-rich veggies, kale is an essential ingredient in many soups and salads.
- Mushrooms – Flavorful and low in calories, mushrooms make a great addition to any dish and are a great source of plant-based proteins.
As you can see, Florida has an abundance of vegetables in-season throughout the year. So next time you’re looking for fresh, local ingredients for a tasty dish, you don’t have to look any further than Florida’s vegetable markets.