Planting Vegetables in the Summer
Summertime is the perfect season for gardeners of all levels to get their hands dirty and start growing some vegetables in their own backyard. There are plenty of vegetables that can be planted in the summer for a plentiful harvest.
Root vegetables make up some of the most popular vegetables to have in the garden during the summer months. Here are a few to consider:
- Carrots – These crunchy vegetables grow best when planted in warm soil and can be harvested throughout the summer months.
- Beets – Popular among picklers and health-conscious individuals alike, beets are easy to plant and can be harvested regularly.
- Potatoes – Potatoes thrive in hot weather and can be planted in the early summer months. A single planting spot can produce plenty of potatoes throughout the summer.
Few things compare to the satisfaction of picking fresh vegetables from your own garden. Here are some green vegetables that can be planted in the summer and harvested for months to come:
- Kale – A hardy vegetable that grows quickly in warmer temperatures, kale can provide a steady supply of greens throughout the summer.
- Cucumbers – Cucumbers grow easily in the summer and can be harvested for salads, pickling, and other uses.
- Tomatoes – Tomatoes are a classic summer vegetable and can be used in countless recipes. Cherry tomatoes are particularly hardy in the summertime.
Besides root vegetables and green vegetables, there are plenty of other vegetables that can be planted in the summer. Here are some to consider:
- Squash – Summer squash grows quickly and can be harvested throughout the summer months.
- Peppers – Green, red, or yellow, peppers thrive in hot weather and offer a burst of flavor in summer recipes.
- Corn – Corn is a popular crop in the summer months that can be harvested for weeks or even months.
Whether you are a novice gardener or an experienced one, there are plenty of vegetables that can be planted in the summer for a healthy and delicious harvest. With some simple research and planning, you can have a flourishing vegetable garden in no time.