Vegetables To Plant In February
It is a good time of year to begin planting vegetables in February. Many vegetables, fruits, and herbs thrive when planted this month. Knowing what to plant can help you have a successful and fruitful harvest season.
Vegetables to Plant
February is a great time to plant the following vegetables:
- Beets – These tasty root vegetables need full sun and are planted from seed.
- Carrots – Carrots prefer well drained, light soil that is slightly acidic. Seeds are planted when temperatures are still cool.
- Onions – Onions can be planted from bulbs or from seed. Plant in full sun and thin seedlings once they emerge.
- Radishes – Plant radish seeds early to get the most flavorful harvest. For sweeter varieties, plant in well-drained soil.
- Spinach – Spinach is a hardy vegetable that can tolerate cold temperatures. Plant it in well-drained soil in full sun.
- Turnips – Turnips are a cool weather vegetable that must be sown early. Be sure to thin out seedlings to allow space for full growth.
Fruits To Plant
February is also a great time to plant fruit trees and bushes. Planting early gives the trees and shrubs plenty of time to establish and grow so they can bear fruit in the spring or summer:
- Apples – Plant apple trees as early as February. Choose a spot in full sun and well-drained soil.
- Blueberries – Blueberry bushes prefer acidic soil and full sun. Dig a hole twice as wide as the bush’s root ball.
- Raspberries – Raspberries like full sun and slightly acidic soil. Plant in early February and provide some type of support system.
- Strawberries – Strawberry plants grow best in full sun and slightly acidic soil. Plant in February and provide adequate space to allow berries to spread out and not overlap.
Herbs To Plant
Herbs are a great addition to any garden and provide a nice flavor to your dishes. Here are some herbs to consider planting in February:
- Parsley – Parsley grows best in full sun and can tolerate some shade. Plant in well-drained soil and cover young seedlings.
- Chives – Chives can be planted from seed or by dividing existing plants. Plant in a sunny, well-aerated location.
- Oregano – Oregano grows well in sunny locations. Plant in well-drained, slightly acidic soil.
- Cilantro – Cilantro grows best in full sun and should be planted from seed. Plant in well-drained soil for best results.
February is an excellent time to start planting vegetables, fruits, and herbs for the upcoming growing season. Knowing which plants to plant and where to plant them is key to success. With the right care and attention, your garden will provide you with a wealth of fresh, flavorful produce!