Vegetables to Plant in May
May is an ideal month to start planting a variety of vegetables in your garden. Here are some ideas of what to plant this month:
- Carrots: Plant carrots every three weeks for a continuous harvest.
- Beets: Plant beets for a long-lasting harvest.
- Radishes: Plant radishes in early May for root vegetables you can eat in a matter of days.
- Turnips: Turnips are a great root crop that can be planted in May.
- Tomatoes: Plant tomatoes at the end of May for a bounty of sweet and savory tomatoes in late summer.
- Cucumbers: Cucumbers are a summer staple that should be planted in mid-May for optimal growing conditions.
- Summer Squash: Planting summer squash in May will give you a steady supply through the end of summer.
- Peppers: Peppers are an easy crop to start in May for a bounty of peppers in the fall.
- Lettuce: Plant lettuce in May for a harvest of leafy greens throughout summer.
- Spinach: Spinach can be planted in May for a steady harvest of greens throughout the season.
- Kale: Kale is often a preferred green due to its durability and can be planted in early May.
- Swiss Chard: Plant Swiss chard in mid-May to add some variety to your green garden.
As you can see, there is a wide variety of vegetables that can be planted in May. You can enjoy the fruits of your labor throughout the summer and fall months with a well maintained garden. Get out and start planting!