Vegetables to Serve with Sauerkraut
Sauerkraut is a delicious fermented cabbage dish that has been around for centuries. Not only does it add flavor and variety to your meal but it’s also packed with vitamins and minerals. Here is a list of some of the best vegetables to serve with sauerkraut:
- Potatoes: Potatoes are a great accompaniment to sauerkraut – especially oven-roasted, mashed or boiled.
- Carrots: Carrots are also a great addition to sauerkraut dishes – especially when roasted or boiled.
- Parsnips: Parsnips are a root vegetable with a mild sweetness that pairs nicely with sauerkraut.
- Beets: Roasted beets are a great side dish to sauerkraut, especially when paired with apples and onions.
- Kale: Kale is a superfood that goes great with sauerkraut – especially when cooked with bacon fat.
- Spinach: Spinach is a great addition to sauerkraut dishes – especially when cooked with garlic and onions.
- Chard: Chard is a flavorful green vegetable that pairs perfectly with sauerkraut.
- Cabbage: Another type of cabbage, cabbage is a great side to sauerkraut – especially when roasted or steamed.
- Onions: Onions are a great accompaniment to sauerkraut – especially when caramelized.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms are a perfect addition to sauerkraut dishes – especially when cooked with onions and garlic.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes are a great side to sauerkraut – especially when cooked with basil and garlic.
These are just a few of the vegetables that go well with sauerkraut – there are many more out there! Get creative and give these vegetables a try in your next sauerkraut dish – you won’t regret it!