Vegetables You Can Put in a Chicken Pot Pie
As one of the classic comfort foods, chicken pot pie is always a welcomed sight on your dinner table. The creamy and flavorful sauce combined with the crispy and buttery crust and vegetables make this dish an all-time favorite. But, what vegetables should you use when preparing chicken pot pie? Here are some of the best vegetables to use when making a chicken pot pie:
Root vegetables are perfect for pot pie and they add a great texture and flavor. Some of the best root vegetables to add to your pot pie include:
- Potatoes – These have a natural sweetness that goes well with the savory richness of chicken and the creamy sauce.
- Carrots – Carrots are sweet and add a great flavor and texture to the pot pie. Add in some freshly grated ginger for an even more flavorful filling.
- Parsnips – Parsnips are a little more earthy and have a subtle sweetness that complements the other flavors of the pot pie.
Leafy greens add a freshness to your pot pie and they help to bulk up the filling. Some of the best leafy greens you can use in your chicken pot pie are:
- Spinach – This green is packed with flavor and adds a brightness to the filling.
- Kale – Kale adds an earthy and slightly bitter note to the pot pie. Add in some red pepper flakes for a spicier variation.
- Swiss Chard – This leafy green is milder and has a slightly sweet flavor. Add it in with the root vegetables and you’ll be in for a flavor sensation.
You can also add some other vegetables to give your chicken pot pie an even more unique and flavorful twist. Here are some of the best vegetables to add to your pot pie:
- Mushrooms – Mushrooms have a strong and earthy flavor that adds depth and complexity to the pot pie.
- Corn – Sweet and juicy, corn adds a wonderful sweetness and crunch to the pot pie.
- Celery – Celery has a nice crunch and a slight sweetness that pairs nicely with the other ingredients in pot pie.
Mix and match these vegetables to suit your taste and you’ll have a delicious and mouthwatering chicken pot pie in no time!