What Vegetables Go in Pad Thai?
Pad Thai is a popular dish originating from Thailand. It is a stir-fried noodle dish traditionally made with rice noodles and mixed with eggs, fish sauce, tamarind juice and palm sugar. To make it even tastier, commonly added vegetables like bean sprouts and other such ingredients are added to it. So, what vegetables go in Pad Thai?
Ingredients for Vegetable Pad Thai:
- Bean Sprouts: Bean sprouts are the hallmark ingredient of Pad Thai. These crunchy sprouts add texture to the dish and are a great way to add extra vitamins and minerals. These usually require no cooking and are simply added raw at the end.
- Carrots: Carrots are another popular vegetable. These are often shredded or julienned and added to Pad Thai to add color, texture, and nutrition. They can also be cooked in the pan with the sauce and noodles.
- Peppers: Peppers are a great way to add a spicy, punchy flavor to your Pad Thai. Bell peppers are often used for this dish, but other types of peppers can be used such as jalapenos or Habanero peppers.
- Green Onions: Green onions are often used in Pad Thai to add flavor and a nice contrast to the noodles. They can be chopped and added to the dish or added to the garnish.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms are a great way to add extra flavor and texture. They are usually cooked with the noodles and sauce, but can also be added as a garnish.
- Snow Peas: Snow peas are a great way to add a crunchy texture and sweetness to the dish. These can be cooked in the pan with the noodles or added as a garnish.
These are just a few of the vegetables that can be added to Pad Thai, but you can also experiment with other vegetables like asparagus, broccoli, or bok choy. As long as you keep the vegetables cut into small pieces and cooked until tender-crisp, you can add in any vegetables you prefer. For a balance of color, flavor, and texture, veggies are a great addition to Pad Thai. Enjoy!