Vegetables to Complement Alfredo
Alfredo is a creamy, robust pasta dish that can be easily adapted to include almost any type of vegetables. If you need inspiration for what vegetables go with alfredo, check out the ideas below.
To turn an Alfredo dish into a one-pan meal, opt for the following healthy veggies. All of these can be added into the Alfredo sauce as it simmers, ensuring that the vegetables will be cooked to perfection.
- Broccoli – high in fiber, containing a multitude of vitamins and minerals, including vitamins C, K, and A.
- Cauliflower – rich in antioxidants, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Spinach – low in calories and an excellent source of micronutrients like magnesium and iron.
- Mushrooms – a low-calorie addition that is packed with vital vitamins and minerals.
If you’re looking for something heartier to put in your Alfredo sauce, consider adding some of the following grains, which also pair perfectly with the rich, creamy flavor:
- Quinoa – a high-protein grain with a mild nutty flavor.
- Farro – chewy and nutty, with a mild flavor that pairs especially well with Alfredo.
- Barley – high in fiber and loaded with vitamins and minerals.
If you’re looking for a little something extra, consider adding some of the following:
- Peas – cooked from frozen in just a few minutes, these little green gems add a burst of color and fresh flavor.
- Garlic – when added while the sauce is simmering, this pungent herb can add savory flavor with minimal fuss.
- Red peppers – for added sweetness and a pop of color.
- Zucchini – mild in flavor, with a texture that goes well with creamy Alfredo sauce.
Alfredo is a classic that is equally delicious as a vegetarian dish. Happy cooking!