What Vegetables Go with Dirty Rice?
Dirty rice is a flavorful dish made with white rice, ground beef, and spices. This Creole-style dish is a popular favorite in the South, and it is delicious paired with a variety of vegetables that add a healthful and hearty dose of nutrition. Here are a few vegetables to consider when serving up dirtry rice.
Vegetables for Dirty Rice
- Bell Peppers: Bell peppers, in a variety of colors, add a crunchy texture to the dish while also adding a vitamin-rich boost of flavor.
- Onions: Chopped onions bring sweetness to the mix, and they complement the savory rice and beef.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms provide a nice umami addition to the dish and can be sautéed or cooked down along with the beef.
- Garlic: As with most savory dishes, garlic adds depth and flavor to the recipe, and it is a staple in many dirty rice recipes.
- Spinach: Spinach is a healthful addition to the dish, and it can be cooked alongside the beef and rice.
Other vegetables that can be used with dirty rice include carrots, celery, zucchini, and asparagus. Depending on the cook’s preference, any one of these vegetables can be used in creating a unique and delicious side-dish.
The combination of vegetables used in a dirty rice dish will vary, depending on personal preference. However, the addition of vegetables will provide the dish with a healthful and hearty balance to the ground beef and rice. Whether adding bell peppers, onions, or spinach, there is no wrong vegetable to add to this delectable dish.